Friday, June 17, 2022

October 1948

 


Walker won!!! $51,583. Isn't it swell? (but poor little Cassie) Now Cannon will have about $16,000 for education and start in life. 

John and Lorna married! Took Dora on honeymoon with them. Will wonders never cease?

Pressure system works swell. Really is a deal! We are all very pleased. Going to move out soon. 

Pop and Farmor came up to help putty the outside of house. We will finish up tomorrow (Friday, 8th)

Strike still on, over a month now. Elmer Holman came up for a few days. Dodging a subpoena!

Well--we made the MOVE! Yes, we are out in our new house and we love it. (Oct. 10, 1948) Weather is dandy too. Looks and feels like rain and we have a fire in the morning as well as the evening. Still lots of work to be done but we think we will finish it faster now. 

John, Sue and Mike have their beds in Johnny's room (dormitory style). Weaver, Maggie and Cannon are in Maggie's room. 

Went over to Jeanne's with Granny (9th) for Christina's second birthday. She sure is a cutie. Very plump, but sweet. Pretty too.

Mom told me today that Zylpha is going to marry Leo. Happy days. Now I guess I won't have to worry about her and the kids anymore. He'll make Betty and Petey a good daddy. 

(Oct. 15th, Friday) Just got a letter from John and Lorna today. They are coming for my baby on Sunday. I sure will be lonesome, even though I know it's best in every way. 

(17th) Well Walker and Lorna came down and so did all Lorna's relatives. Walker slept and poor Lorna had to visit with everyone, but it really wasn't that bad. They're all nice people. Went to dinner at Farmor's on Saturday the 16th. Had a nice time. Cannon's last visit.

Monday- The day! He's gone! I don't think I've ever felt so sad- lonesome. Everyone says I'll forget soon. I hope so- I don't like it at all. 

Strike still on and things look bad. Weaver is feeling quite low. Hates to Holman and a few fellows suffering because a bunch of jerks going back. 

The house is nearly all painted outside and really looks nice. We are all quite happy about it. I will get at the trim as soon as possible. 

Farmor and Pop were up for lunch. They sure are sweet and good. Gave us 25.00 more for food and shoes for poor Sue. Her feet were on the ground. 

Well- Weaver is kissing the Union Oil good-bye. I'm glad. He is going to work for Ray Bauch- Dora's friend- cement work. Might be a good thing, who knows?

(22nd) Ho! Ho! Pop came up with a letter from Lewis Terven offering to finance Weaver to cattle ranch. Says he can probably lend him 20 to 25,000. What a break for Weaver if it doesn't fall through. 

Weaver gone to El Centro with Pop and Farmor to Elmer and his friend, Kurt, in Yuma. Wants to talk to Kurt to see what he says.

Weaver home and gone again (30th) This time it's up north to see Lewis. We both want to see what is really cooking. Took Pop's car. Sure wish I could have gone with him but too much family and horse. 

Pop made down payment on house for Betty and Ben. They sure are tickled. Haven't seen it yet myself but everyone says it's swell. 

Bea is going to sign a lease for house in the valley near Farmor. Two year deal. I hope they like it and I think they will. 

Halloween tomorrow! Kids are excited. They have big ideas. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

November 1948

Weaver still up north. Gone to Oregon. I'm so lonesome and sad. It's almost unbearable. Thank God for Pop and Farmor. Should be home...